Sunday, September 23, 2018

Taco NIGHTS!!/l Santo Trip/ It's Actually Been 7 Months Elder LaMont/ Elder Lemon's Little Buddy/ Argghhh Matey/ Shiver me Timbers/ The Jolly Roger

Family and Friends! Here we are again! I smile to think of you, and all you must be accomplishing. The very thought of you beautiful people lifts my spirits  and gives me  hope. For me, it has been another wonderful week in Paradise doing the hardest work I have ever done! I have never felt more tired, satisfied, and happy in all my life. How Great is missionary work!? Simply it is the best. I know with all my heart that Missionary work and service to others is how we find true happiness. When we only think of ourselves we can't truly experience the eternal joy, which comes by the spirit and doing the simple Primary answer of "What Would Jesus Do?" 

Through my studies I found one of my favorite quotes by Gordon B. Hinckley, which really touched mu heart. He explains to us how we can find true and Eternal Joy! The Joy whoch doesn't have an expire date on it! 

 It goes like this, "Do you want to be happy? Forget Yourself and get lost in this great cause. Lend your efforts to helping people. There is no work in all the world so fraught with happiness as this work. That happiness is peculiar. It comes of serving others. It is real. It's unique. It's wonderful. You will come to know a happiness that you have never known before if you will do that. Stand a little taller, lift those feeble knees, hold up the arms of those that hand down. Live the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Forget Yourself." 

How Great is the truth that when we forget about ourselves lifting others up we find our true selves, find more joy than we ever thought possible, and enjoy more the (Galatians 5:22) Fruits of the Spirit as he becomes our constant companion. I am so thankful for the many individuals who have blessed my life and taught me this example.
 I have thought to the selfless service of my parents whom whenever they could sacrifice energy, their own desires, dreams, hopes all in efforts to give more to one another and their children. I think back to my mother doing massive amounts of laundry, cooking wonderful meals, always willing to help me with homework, and despite her busy schedule and many who wanted her attention, she would always take the time to ask how my day went. When she saw I was troubled or I needed someone to listen I was amazed how she would drop what she was doing to listen and comfort. And then do the same thing for all of my siblings. I think to my Father who no doubt exhausted from work would come home and always give me a hug. Be willing to listen to all the sport updates he could ever ask for and watch any game even if it meant he couldn't keep his eyes open. Or loose in ;) FIFA  How when I doubted my own abilities taught me that "I can do hard things and not to discount myself." I think to how he would make any sacrifice to honor his Priesthood and bring joy to my Mother. To my two parents know you have raised us in righteousness. Your Father in Heaven sees your efforts and is well pleased. Your sacrifices do not go unnoticed. I hope my home as a Future husband and Father will be filled with the same love, sacrifice, and devotion to one another and to the Gospel as ours has been. Often my heart reflects upon this wonderful song. Which I sung in Primary but truly experienced in my own home growing up. Thank you Mom and Dad!
 Love is Spoken Here."  "I see my Mother kneeling with our family each day. I hear the words she whispers as she bows her head to pray. Her plea to the Father quiets all my fears. And I am thankful love is spoken here. I can often feel the Savior near when love is spoken here. Mine is a home where every hour is blessed by the strength of priesthood power, with Father and Mother leading the way, Teaching me how to trust and obey; And the things they teach are crystal clear, For Love is Spoken Here. I Can often feel the Savior near when Love is spoken Here." 


 I like to also think to a wonderful Bishop who served right before I left for my mission. He taught me something surely my parents tried for years to teach me that if we are struggling we need no more than to get out of our homes or own heads and serve others. When we are struggling our best help we will be helping others. Again I quote wonderful words from Gordon B. Hinckley, "The best antidote for worry is work. The best medicine for despair is service. The best cure for weariness is the challenge of helping someone who is even more tired." 
Another thing I like to think back to is one of the most powerful supports I had before the mission was a letter I received. I will never forget the words of this letter which told me something I heard many times before but it did not truly hit me until I read it in this wonderful letter. A portion of it states, "Missionary, a person who leaves their family for 2 years, so others may be with their families for eternity. Good Luck." Yes, it is hard to give up your family for a few years. But the joy of helping people have this gift for all time and eternity is what makes my heart and soul sing praise to The Lord as I reflect upon the many blessings of being able to serve in this wonderful mission. I am so thankful for my mission and for the many who support me. I love you! Thank you for all you have done for me.  

Our week really has been great and I continue to learn much from my wonderful studies. I am so grateful for the opportunity to learn, be edified, and be taught by the scriptures. To learn as I try and teach this perfect and wonderful Gospel. This is a gift all of us can have in our lives because of a Loving Father in Heaven. Open those scriptures. I promise you will hear and feel the still voice of the spirit which tries to talk to us over the constant loud noises of the world. I have really learned the value of this week of listening more. Do you know who the best listener in all of the Universe is? Our Father in Heaven he will always listen perfectly to us and comfort us through His Son's Atonement and Gospel. Often times when I have had a companion struggling I am so quick to try and solve the problem. I feel it has been out of good intention as I love them and want things to be better for them. However anyone who has served a mission will teach you to not do what I have been doing for a long time. The job of the companion is NOT to solve the problem rather; to help the other companion feel loved and understood. Only be coming to the Lord will they really be able to be helped. You can only be the moral support. Remember that you can not be the Savior. Only the Savior can provide the perfect love and support to solve the problem. The best thing you can do is just listen. 

We just got back from New Caledonia and had a little time to make some work in the office in the area. Then two days later on another plane to the beautiful island of Santo. The Santo Zone Conference went really well and I felt the spirit in abundance. I love all the new missionaries coming in as they are full of energy and desire! And of course some of my best friends there and I like to talk about the Utah Jazz and NBA updates when we have a spare minute. Life is so good! The Gospel, Family, Friends My mission and sports show how much The Lord has blessed me! 

Alright. I need to explain about my little buddy. I am not sure if I have ever mentioned this in my updates but one of my nicknames in the mission has become Elder Lemon or Lemons. Or in French Elder Citron. This is because if I ever go out to my first area in Teoma a bunch of naked little pikinini (or children) will run out yelling, Elda Lemon! Elda Lemons!" And then they will come hug my legs and ask for more candy. Love them and miss them! Sometimes when people can't pronounce my name here they just remember me as Elder Lemons. Or they think I am a French man and start calling me Monsieur LaMont. It's grown on me :) Anyway we went to this place to eat in Santo called Atar. And they have this little bird (what I think is a Green Parrot) The dude is legit! He is so funny and has a really energetic personality so we hit it off! I taught him two different whistle patterns. And the entire time we were eating I would sing my tune to him and he would copy it. I started trying to teach him some words but he only responded to this by re  If you haven't been around birds that's just a way a bird says, "We are bros now and I love you." Throwing up food and offering it to your new friend is a weird way to show this but it is just the bird way. I thought my family would especially love this story! I know Claire (The Bird Whisperer) and Vivie would love it! I named him Mitchell because that is apparently one of the big stars at the Utah Jazz. Anyway funny story for the week :) 

I also was told by my Old Companion Elder Burbank through email (He has since gone home) that I should go check on one of my Recent Converts Thelma (does anyone remember her?) We figured out she works in a car shop in Vila and we dropped by to see her. I was SO HAPPY to see her and she was also very excited to see me. I said, "Thelma!! It's so good to see you! It's been something like... 6 months?! How are you??"
She said, "Actually Elder LaMont it has been 7 months!!"
It made me happy she has obviously missed me. Recent Converts are the best! I am glad to hear she is still coming to church every week. I pray she may stay away from old friends and influences which are very desirous for her to revert to an old life. I hope her new friends in the church will help her anchor her testimony. If you would include her in your prayers I would appreciate it so much. I wish I could help her more. I know if she keeps coming to Our Savior she will be able to stay strong in the storms and winds of temptation. If we do an exchange with the Zone Leaders in Blacksands I will be able to have another lesson with her. Hope we will find time to do it! 

Well, I can't say more than I am loving life! Full steam ahead as I  truly loving the work and learning how to better love others. One of the biggest blessings in my life is my mission. I am so thankful to be here!!! And I am very excited to talk with my Family for Christmas! That's going to be an awesome day!!! :) Keep being awesome! I miss you all! I am praying for you.
You've go this. The Lord is with us! What can we not do?!?  

I love you! Have a wonderful week and enjoy the blessings which we all have!! 

Love Forever,

Elder LaMont/Shark Bait/ Elder Lemon or Elder Citron/ Whitest Elder in all of Vanuatu 

Health Update For Momma: Still doing well. Looked in the mirror today and thought "Looking good today!" ;) Hahaha just kidding! I have been really sleepy recently but a P Day today will be definitely relaxing and will help a lot. Got to love that 2,000 + dollar smile I got from all those torture devices.. I mean Orthodontic projects! :) ;) Thanks for helping me stay as healthy as possible Momma! You're the beast... I mean the best! ;) By the way you just lost the game XD 

P.S. Pictures are coming this week, I promise. Sorry, I did not have time to send some last week but I will be sending some extras your way! I will send pictures of how we made Tacos!! You better believe I am getting better at cooking! I am related to my Momma after all!




The SLC Airport Crew at Zone Conference 


Our faces during Taco Night! 


Taco Night! Elder LaMont and Elder Hable sick of eating takeout while traveling and thus this beautiful thing was created.. TACO NIGHT!


Mitchell Elder Lemons' Buddy! 


Me and Mitchell chillin. 



When you realized you have been out a year but still confident you look gorgeous (Love Elder Hable's face in this one XD) all in one picture. Also Jersey Sunday! 


Jessica who will has a baptism date for this week!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Kolopokie/Shark Bait Keeps it Going/ Shut up and Dance with Me... I mean Listen/Be Ye Doers of The Word

Dearest Family and Friends! How are you? Do you know I love you? I hope so!!! So much and with every part of my heart. Kee...