Sunday, February 10, 2019

Shark Bait Enters the Heart of the Bush/ Tanna Exchange/ Marriage and Baptism of Roslen

Dearest Family and Friends, I am thankful for another opportunity I have to write another email to you and update you on how I am doing. This has been a great week for both Elder Gunnell and I! I hope I will be able to tell you about some of the amazing things I was able to experience this week. 

Our first adventure of the week came from our exchange with Tanna. It was quite the experience to say the least! I took many pictures and am hoping to get some of them for you to see. Elder Gunnell went with a missionary named Elder Dickes and I went with our other Zone Leader in Tanna named Elder Veidovi. (from Fiji) 

Tanna was incredible! It felt like I was camping as a missionary! It was super cool. And guess what? I got to take my first bucket shower. We showered outside with the buckets. A man in the village said something like,"You are SO WHITE" It made me laugh!

Elder Gunnell and Elder Dickes took the truck we have in Tanna and went and worked in an area called Lenakal. Elder Veidovi and I went to the Zone Leader's other area called Middle Bush (Or Mit-Mit)  Some of the members there provided a small home in their village where we could stay. I was the only white person around for miles! Because Elder Veidovi is still learning English this also meant during the entire exchange I was speaking Bislama. 

There is a reason they call the area "Middle Bush." The home we were given to stay in was made out of bamboo, copper, and a tarp. Our only light at night was the flash lights we brought with us and a small light the members let us use. It opened my eyes to truly how much we have. These people do not have very much yet they are the happiest people I have met and willing to give anything to help you also have joy. It is a very humbling experience to teach this wonderful Gospel to such a humble and loving group of people. 

The Ward Mission Leader in Middle Bush spent the entire day with us. He helped us find our way to those the Zone Leaders have been teaching and helping get ready for baptism. Another crazy experience about doing missionary work in Tanna is the fact that there are many people who do not know Bislama and only know their Island Language. There are so many different languages in Tanna! In one village they will have one language and in some cases the next village over will speak an entirety different language. So, we would speak Bislama to the Ward Mission Leader and he would then translate it into the Island language of those whom we taught. 

The second adventure Elder Gunnell and I had this week was helping George and Roslen get married! We made sure before we left Tanna we had everything ready so things would run smooth for the marriage and baptism on Saturday. When we got back from Tanna we had the baptismal interview with our District Leader and got all the Paper work done. Then on the day of the marriage the man who was going to perform the marriage said he could not do it. Through some much needed miracles we worked with the Bishop to find another man who could do the marriage! It was a huge blessing to be able see both of them make these special promises of marriage to one another and the happiness which filled the room. Then right after the marriage we had the baptism! Roslen looked very happy and seeing her with her new husband and her little girl reminded me of the blessings Our Heavenly Father has given us as families. We have so much! 

This week I have continued my personal study in the Book of Mormon. I have been reading in 3rd Nephi and how the Savior came and performed many miracles and established his church in the Americas. I feel reading through these chapters has reminded me of how much the Savior personally loves each one of us. He will heal us as we come to Him and we work to be strong. 

My Family and Friends, I hope your weeks are great and you know I am thinking and praying for you. Thank you for your many prayers, letters, and emails of support. I love you. 

Much Love, 

Elder LaMont/ Shark Bait/ Your Alekken Ty/ Island Boy


Elder LaMont and Elder Veidovi.



small home


George and Roslen get married


Right after the marriage we had the baptism! 









No comments:

Post a Comment

Kolopokie/Shark Bait Keeps it Going/ Shut up and Dance with Me... I mean Listen/Be Ye Doers of The Word

Dearest Family and Friends! How are you? Do you know I love you? I hope so!!! So much and with every part of my heart. Kee...