Sunday, September 9, 2018

Shark Bait Makes it to a Year/ My Friend Gwen/ Barava Hot wei ie Hot/ Ye Elders of Israel- The LaMont and Hable Walk-up Song/ It's True!

Another beautiful week in the mission field I Love Serving so much! This really is the hardest thing I have ever done but I have been able to see The Lord wrought to pass many miracles; though I am weak, He makes me strong.  This week was indeed been another special one because it marked my one year mark as a missionary! It became a time I could really reflect on the many things the Lord has helped me accomplish.  How through the loving prayers of those support me/love me, through my own efforts to be faithful, valiant, and obedient/ and the blessings from Heaven I have stayed on my mission despite many health problems, fears, and trials and have come to know further the truthfulness of the Gospel. To know the Love Of a Father in Heaven who does Live! 

One of the things I am most grateful for is the love which fills my heart. I Love the people I am serving. I desire their Salvation and deeply care for their souls. The members in Our ward have come as close as family. I feel I really have learned from my service as a missionary how to finally learn how to think of others more than myself. Looking back on my life, there was a lot of times that I thought about me. Even in my prayers I sometimes was just praying for me. However, something wonderful has truly changed in my heart because of the Holy Ghost. Truly, the Spirit has worked a "mighty change in my heart." My thoughts and prayers have changed. I am happy I think more about others now. I often pray and plead for those we teach. I shed tears of joy to see them come to know further of the Love God and their Savior. It is my greatest wish that I can teach all I come in contact with Great Plan of Our God and how they can be with their Families Forever. I love working! I love working hard and then being taught how I can be better. I am not a perfect man but I know the message we are teaching is Perfect. Jesus Christ is the Son of God and can lift us from any burden or sin to become valiant servants. His Atonement can comfort us perfectly. We can be forgiven, we can be healed spiritually. Our broken hearts need no longer ache. The way has been provided.

Only now do I truly and fully understand the scriptures which come from Mosiah 28:2-3,
"2 That perhaps they might bring them to the knowledge of the Lord their God, and convince them of the iniquity of their fathers; and that perhaps they might cure them of their hatred towards the Nephites, that they might also be brought to rejoice in the Lord their God, that they might become friendly to one another, and that there should be no more contentions in all the land which the Lord their God had given them.
            3 Now they were desirous that salvation should be declared to every creature, for they could not bear that any human soul should perish; yea, even the very thoughts that any soul should endure endless torment did cause them to quake and tremble.

A mission is the best thing which has ever happened to me! :) 
            
 I am thankful for even trials in our lives. Elder D. Todd Christopherson said it best in a talk he gave. He explained He had learned how The Lord loves enough to even give us trials to prune and morph us into what we need to be. Truly He loves us enough to hurt us so that we might learn and grow. He always gives us these trials with His knowledge of how it will help us reach Him. He said it best when he said, "Thank you Mr. Gardner. Thank you for loving me enough to cut me down." I know every trial in our live need not destroy our hopes. Trials are an opportunity for us to learn, grow, and will always bring an increase of love into our lives when we rely fully upon The Atonement of Jesus Christ and fully on Him who already walked such a lonely path that we need not do so alone. 

We are Sons and Daughters of Loving Heavenly Parents. Although we all fall short of perfection we should NEVER forget of where we come from and our Divine Potential. I paraphrase the words of Jeffery Holland to the best of my remembrance "Don't you quit. Don't give up. You keep Trying. Some blessings don't come now. Some don't come until Heaven. But for those who embrace the Gospel of Jesus Christ blessings do come." You can do this! You can get through any hardship and struggle. The Lord has conquered it already. Allow Him to take your worries and struggles. He will lift you higher as you come to Him. I promise you and I know it's true because Jesus Christ has always done this for me. He Lives! 

This Week Zone Conference started up which made our schedule a little bit more intense. Our first trip for this week was for the Solomon Zone Conference. We had to wake up early in the morning and I had the unfortunate experience of waking up late. As I was scrambling a bit to keep up with my companion to get ready I was ready just in time when Président Duquette arrived to take us with him to the airport. As we were walking out the door I felt like I was forgetting something. I thought of grabbing a Book of Mormon in English I had been marking up. I pushed the thought aside as we ran out the door. Yeah... You would think I would learn by now how to listen to promptings from the Holy Ghost... But I am still working on that skill! As we got on our plane we realized we all had different seats and it felt weird being on the other end of the plane from my companion. I sat down next to a man who looked super French. Sure enough as I navigated around him I noticed he was texting someone in French. I also noticed he had a wedding ring on. Side note: becoming a missionary has made me more observant to details so I can approach people better. Am I becoming the next Shawn Spencer...? I would like to think I am! :) His seat was broken and I noticed I could move over one seat to provide him a better chair. I was worried he might not know English. I was also feeling like I needed to try and talk with him about the Gospel. I kind of looked up at the sky and gave a questionable smile asking, 
"Well how come Elder Hable or the Duquettes didn't get the seat next to him??? I am literally the only one in our little band of Musketeers who doesn't speak fluent French! What do you want me to even say.. Bonjour ? Because that's pretty much all I have when I am nervous. This literally makes no sense."
The Holy Ghost: "Elder... Are you going to make it the second time this morning you don't listen to me? You literally read a scripture the other night, which said all things, are possible through God. You never know he might speak English. Give it a go!" 
Me: Ahhh man.. Well played. Fine. Fine. Fine! I will do it."

I invited the man to the chair next to me as I moved over so he could have a chair, which was not broken. He appreciated the offer and accepted with perfect English in the thickest French accent ever. We then had a wonderful conversation. He is indeed from France and actually moved to Tahiti at only at 18 years old. He has b3n trying to learn English over the past few years and was grateful for the time to talk with me. We talked about his work and his little family in Tahiti. He has a 3-year-old daughter and loves his wife! He then asked about my family. I joked he had made a mistake pulling a picture of my family out of my Missionary Handbook and telling him how I could talk about my family for the rest of our 2 hour flight. He loved the picture and asked me tons of questions about my family and America! I was of course, happy to answer. He then got curious what the heck I was doing here heading to Solomon Islands when I had such an amazing family back home. We started talking about missionary work and he had tons of questions about who we were. Eventually he accepted a Restoration Pamphlet. And he went to watching some French Movies on his laptop. I was really happy how our conversation went. Already I felt an outpouring of love for him. I knew I needed to give him a Book of Mormon. I again realized how I truly had mistaken a prompting this morning. I began to feel terrible and even had a prayer to ask for forgiveness for not listening the first time. But then suddenly I realized that I had my traveling Book of Mormon with me. A small book of Mormon my parents had given me before I left. At first I did not really want to hand it over because of how much I have used it and then I again felt love for this man. I knew The Book of Mormon could not only change his life but even the life of his small family. I felt relieved and knew exactly what I needed to do.
I wrote a small testimony in it and offered it to the man. He was reluctant to accept it at first because he worried he was taking my only copy. I told him I had many more like it and wanted him to have it. After another offer he said, 
"Are you sure?" 
Me: "Yes! This book will bless your life Gwen. It changed mine forever. It will not only give you more happiness but also your family."
Gwen: "Okay. If you're sure I will take it."

Walking off the plane into the almost unbearable heat of the Solomon Island (10 times more hot and humid then Vanuatu) I couldn't help but smile and sing praises in my head to a Father in Heaven and Savior who are always so patient with me allowing me to work miracles through even my slowness to hear promptings. I know the promise from the Doctrine and Covenants is true. Doctrine and Covenants 1:24 states,

23 "That the fullness of my gospel might be proclaimed by the weak and the simple unto the ends of the world, and before kings and rulers."

And I know as well, when have a willing heart and mind to do the Lord's work He will grant us power through the Holy Ghost to work a great work and wonder among His beloved Children. This is the promise he made his 12 Apostles after his 40 day Ministry after His Resurrection. 

Acts 1:8, "But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judæa, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth."

Talking with the Duquettes about the experience and my companion they expressed it was no accident I sat by him. Had they spoke to him in French they feel he would never had opened up. Truly The Lord prepares the way! 

I have recently been having some out of this world good study sessions! Elder Hable and I have been blessed as we have made an attempt to improve our study habits as a companionship and personally. I have just finished the Book of Mormon and have praying again for a witness of this truth through the Holy Ghost. I had received one before my Mission (and it has been the anchor of my testimony since) but wanted again to be reminded of it's truthfulness. I have been praying for awhile now still awaiting my answer. And I got one! While searching for another scripture I accidentally flipped open to a scripture in 2 Nephi 33 I had marked. It states,

"10 And now, my beloved brethren, and also Jew, and all ye ends of the earth, hearken unto these words and believe in Christ; and if ye believe not in these words believe in Christ. And if ye shall believe in Christ ye will believe in these words, for they are the words of Christ, and he hath given them unto me; and they teach all men that they should do good.
            11 And if they are not the words of Christ, judge ye—for Christ will show unto you, with power and great glory, that they are his words, at the last day; and you and I shall stand face to face before his bar; and ye shall know that I have been commanded of him to write these things, notwithstanding my weakness." 

An undeniable force of pure love and joy filled my heart and I have again come to the knowledge that the Book of Mormon is the word of God. It is the words of Christ. I know we can receive a witness of any truth through the Holy Ghost. I know with all my heart and soul the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is the only true church upon the world led and directed by a Living Jesus Christ through His servants. I know with all my Heart that Joseph Smith is the prophet of the Restoration. He saw God the Father and His son Jesus Christ. He translated what would become to be known ad The Book of Mormon through the Power of God. It's true! It's all true! My Joy is so great! 

Just last night we had an amazing lesson with this new family we found. They are a young couple (Antonine and Stéphane)) who have two beautiful little girls who are both still in diapers. It is amazing How prepared they seem already. The Lord truly does prepare those who are ready to hear His word through His chosen Disciples. We also have worked so hard with the members! We have really made an effort to go to ward activities and to make friends with them. We just had a ward activity where we played Soccer, Volleyball, and they also had me teach some Zumba or dance steps! I have loved how I could share my love of dance to bring us closer with the members, make them laugh, and have fun! Truly they have such a special place in my heart! I am grateful for these wonderful people. I love them with all my heart.  I taught them how to dance and they taught me how to play Volleyball! Better watch out those of you back at home I am getting pretty good! ;) 


Elder Hable has taught me a lot about Baseball, which I am coming to love! Not as much as Soccer because it's still the best sport... But he taught me what a Walk-Up Song is. For those of you who are as confused as I was allow me to explain. For those of you who know and love Baseball hopefully I explained this correctly. A Walk Up Song (as simple as I my understanding goes) is when the stadium plays a song of the players choice every time they are up to bat. Pour example: a player might have Back In Black play before they get up to hit! So, we decided to have our very own Walk Up Song. It is "Ye Elders Of Israel" I ask that you read the words of this hymn and apply it to your own life. My thoughts on this hymn are: most of us are of the tribe Ephraim; the gathering tribe. We have been saved for this day and age to bring souls to Our Father in heaven. My wonderful Father put it into beautiful words and  (One of my biggest heroes) said in his update to me this morning, 

"God has given us the whole day, and He asks us to do many things. We must learn the balancing act of life. The talk by Elder Dallin H. Oaks Good, Better, and Best is a good reference. Sharing the Gospel does not take long, and if you’re living right, and praying for opportunities you will find them, and they will be worth every minute they cost." 

Here is the hymn: 319

                                    Ye Elders of Israel
                                    
            1. Ye elders of Israel, come join now with me
            And seek out the righteous, where’er they may be—
                        In desert, on mountain, on land, or on sea—
            And bring them to Zion, the pure and the free.
                                                            
                                                            
                        [Chorus]
            O Babylon, O Babylon, we bid thee farewell;         
We’re going to the mountains of Ephraim to dwell.
                                                            
                                                            
2. The harvest is great, and the lab’rers are few;
But if we’re united, we all things can do.
            We’ll gather the wheat from the midst of the tares
And bring them from bondage, from sorrows and snares.
                                                            
                                                                        [Chorus]
            O Babylon, O Babylon, we bid thee farewell;
            We’re going to the mountains of Ephraim to dwell.
                                                
                                                            
3. We’ll go to the poor, like our Captain of old,
And visit the weary, the hungry, and cold;
We’ll cheer up their hearts with the news that he bore
And point them to Zion and life evermore.
                                                            
                                                                        [Chorus]
            O Babylon, O Babylon, we bid thee farewell;
            We’re going to the mountains of Ephraim to dwell.


Family and Friends. Thank you. My eyes fill with tears of joy as I think and pray for you. I Know The Lord blesses you as I give my best efforts. I Love you all and appreciate what you have given me throughout my life. Thank you for your light and love. You are great examples to me. Let us go for the one like Our Savior did. Let us continue to lift those burdens of others and mourn with those who mourn that we might go about doing good helping our Brothers and Sisters come back to the fold of Heaven. Let's again be like "Our Captain of Old" to cheer up the hearts of those around us with the great news of the Gospel. We can do it! The Captain of Salvation will ALWAYS be there for us. Love You All So much!

Much Love and Prayers Your way,

Elder LaMont/Shark Bait/ The Comeback Kid/ Your Alekken Ty/ Fellow Servant 


Health Update For Momma: Momma! Hope you know how much I love you. You are a true angel! You are a hero! My health is great! Feeling stronger every day. When we played Sports at the Ward Activity the Elders Quorum President said something like this (Best English translation) You look fit and strong! Must be a sports man!"
I dis scrape my knee playing Soccer. I got to the ball a lot quicker than one of the men who was playing with us but he left a shoulder in the challenge and knocked me to the ground. I did scrape the knee decently bad but a quick band aide helped me to continue to play the rest of the match and tie up the game 2-2 with a nice and cool finish like my Dad taught me.. with my Head over the ball! Life is good! Love You!! Yeah Dad... It was a nice goal you would have been proud! The Dancer ain't too bad with the Soccer Moves;) 






I tried on Elder Hable's Glasses to be funny. I look so fancy! XD



Who said there are not snakes in Vanuatu.... Sorry Grandma Nye.. 





This is Mama Tebu. She says we are here children. She loves to do missionary work. She reminds me of my grandmas so I love her! 






Celebrating the Year Mark with Coke! It reminds me of my Momma! 



When you hit the year mark and are just reflecting on life... and all you have been blessed to have. 














This is Elder Hable and I's house! It is the nicest home I have ever had in my mission! I am so blessed. We are big fans of the World Cup and the Apostles are also are heroes. It is P-Day today so hopefully you don't judge too hard on the shape of the house. We are going to clean it more! My Momma taught me how to clean! Love you Mom. Love you all! Hopefully they make it to you Mom. I know you wanted to see especially. I also included my bed! Still using the neck pillow. It is legit!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Kolopokie/Shark Bait Keeps it Going/ Shut up and Dance with Me... I mean Listen/Be Ye Doers of The Word

Dearest Family and Friends! How are you? Do you know I love you? I hope so!!! So much and with every part of my heart. Kee...